Monday, June 4, 2012

Social Media fights back against cyberbullying

My last blog post discussed a few ways to prevent cyberbullying and I wanted to find other people's opinions on ways to prevent this issue. I came across an article on Socialnomics.net by Mary Alison Qualman Cyber Bullying Rises, by Social Media Fights Back and she brought up something very interesting almost too simple to overlook. Use social media to fight cyber bullying on social media.

Qualman talked about how a company has set up an application on Facebook called Find Help that allows Facebook users to report cyber bullying and connects them to people who can help them if they are victims. We are all aware of the videos that have come out called "it gets better" and there is a website where celebrities and regular citizens have made videos shedding light on ways to help people deal with cyber bullying and regular bullying.

Personally I see this method of cyber bully prevention as the most effective way because most adolescents spend a lot of time on social media sites to begin with so if help is right there they might be more apt to use that rather then talking to an adult or someone else.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is a great way to help prevent cyberbullying and to help its victims! I'm glad that Facebook has finally come out with a way to combat cyberbullying. I think it would be very effective because it makes it easier to report cyberbullying and to get help. Some children may be embarrassed to talk to their parents, friends, or guidance counselor about being bullied online, so if they can find a community with people going through the same thing they may feel comforted. However, I have never heard of this app before, so I think everyone needs to spread the word!

    ReplyDelete